Are you scheduling time for fun as a mom entrepreneur?
“Geez, Christy, are you so obsessed with me having fun?”
Because you NEED it. As one of my coaches pointed out a few months back, Fun is Fuel. It fills your cup and keeps you going. And gives you a break you need and deserve. It reminds you why you had your kids or why you like your spouse. Not to mention it just feels good. See why you need fun as a mom entrepreneur?
If you can commit to planning simple, engaging activities ahead of time and making that time a priority, you can reap the benefits of being a fun mom. And a fun spouse. And a fun entrepreneur.
You don’t have to wait until your reach a certain level of success. Or until you have more money. Or until your kids are older. You can start and need to start having fun NOW.
One thing I find with many of the moms in my community or when talking with friends is that we overcomplicate fun. Or we are worried that what we can do won’t be exciting or memorable enough so we just don’t do anything at all.
But on the flip side, there are times we plan an elaborate outing for your family only to have kids complain and ruin the experience for us.
Let’s bring it back to simple. Just focus on being with the ones we love. And ask them what they would like to do. Chances are it is simpler and easier to work into your busy schedule than what our mom brains think up.
5 Reasons You Need Fun as a Mom Entrepreneur
And making time for fun is so worth it…let’s dive into 5 ways having fun can benefit you as a mom and as a mom entrepreneur and then I’ll give you some simple strategies for planning more fun with your family.
- First, having fun improves your relationships. It helps you connect with those around you. Setting aside specific time with your family and friends will strengthen your relationships and create memories. This special time with your loved ones helps you to step away and refocus on the relationships that are valuable to you.
- Next, having fun releases dopamine into your system. It’s one of those feel-good hormones that improve your mood, helps you feel more satisfied, and lowers your cortisol levels. Lower cortisol means lower feelings of stress. So fun means less stress!
- And taking a break from stressful work tasks to have a bit of fun also gives your brain a chance to relax and recover. This recovery period is vital to keep you working productively. According to research in a 2013 article titled “Why Your Brain Needs More Downtime” featured Scientific American magazine “Downtime replenishes the brain’s stores of attention and motivation, encourages productivity and creativity, and is essential to both achieve our highest levels of performance and simply form stable memories in everyday life.”
- Having fun also increases our energy levels. Those nasty stress hormones like cortisol lead us down the road to anxiety and depression. Which in turn make us feel lethargic and unmotivated. It’s a nasty cycle, really. But adding some fun and play into our regular routine lowers those stress hormones and boosts our energy by increasing those positive endorphins and the dopamine running around in our system.
- And finally making time for fun will help stave off the burnout that so many entrepreneurs feel. Many entrepreneurs are so passionate about what they do that they are consumed by it. Many are running solo when which means they wear a lot of hats and do a lot of different jobs. And many work from home, causing feeling of social isolation during long, lonely days. That passion, overwork, and isolation is a recipe for the burnout so many entrepreneurs face. But incorporating fun means you are interacting socially, whether with your family or friends. It means your are giving your brain a rest from all the work you are doing to make your company a success. And making time for fun means you can replenish your productivity and creativity for more effective workdays without feeling tapped out.
So scheduling a bit of fun helps to improve your relationships, lower your stress, work more productively when you do work, increase your energy levels, and keep burnout at bay. Sounds pretty good, right?
How Mom Entrepreneurs Can Find Time for Fun
And if you’re thinking, all those benefits sound great, Christy, but I literally cannot add anything more to my plate, I got you. Fun shouldn’t cause stress. Fun should be fun. This is why I’m going to share how you can easily incorporate fun into your schedule…
- Get it on the Schedule…Look at your schedule and see when you can schedule weekly time for your family. Friday nights? Sunday afternoons? Tuesday before bed? If you feel like there isn’t time to make the time, something has to give. Because as I’ve shown, fun is important to your survival as an entrepreneur. Make the time. Do it regularly.
- Keep it simple…Have a game night. Read a series of books aloud. Cook together. Watch movies together. Take a walk or bike ride. It doesn’t have to be elaborate and time-consuming to plan. Simple time together is effective in improving your relationships and reducing stress levels. So keep it simple, sister.
- Don’t Do It Alone…Just because you’re the mom, doesn’t mean you have to do all the planning yourself. Empower your kids by taking their suggestions. You might be surprised at what sorts of simple activities spark joy in them. Not to mention, if the kids pick the activity, they are much less likely to complain.
Your action step for today to make sure you start making time for fun as a mom entrepreneur is to plan a family activity for this week. Get it on the schedule, make it something simple, and consult your family for ideas about what you should do so you don’t have to plan it all yourself.
This is the exact method I use every month with my family fun bucket list community. Members receive a monthly worksheet where they can take ideas from family members and schedule when the activity will take place. And if your family needs some help getting started, there are ideas with your monthly worksheet to get those fun, creative juices flowing.
Family Fun Tip
One of the reasons I like to share these tips is to show you that planning fun activities to fill your cup doesn’t have to be time consuming or expensive. Memories can be made when you keep it simple, make the time, and get creative. And creativity is front and center in this week’s tip.
With many of us suffering through colder temperatures and winter weather, it seems like a good time to absorb a bit of culture from the comfort of our couch under a mound of blankets. That’s why I’m recommending you check out Google’s Arts and Culture app. You can tour over 2000 of the world’s greatest art collections, monuments, and natural history museums. From The Art Institute of Chicago to the Palace of Versailles, from a tour of the White House to the National Museum in New Delhi, you can find virtual tours and information on arts, science, culture and history.
You can either download the Google Arts & Culture app or just visit artsandculture.google.com. If your TV has screen-sharing capabilities, you can share your tour right to your TV so you aren’t all huddled around your phone or tablet. So now even if you’re stuck at home, you can see the world.
I’d love to hear what fun you’re having with your family whether your weather is cold or whether your weather is hot. Send me a DM or tag me on IG @businesssavvymama. And if you haven’t yet signed up for my free Monthly Family Fun Bucket List, what are you waiting for? The March List will be arriving soon with ideas so you can plan plenty of fun quality time with your family, your spouse, or for yourself. Click below to join our bucket brigade and pick up your Free Monthly Family Fun Bucket List.
Need additional support in creating your best mompreneur life? Want to create a solid and simple plan to get your work done and have fun? Let’s jump on a free, no-obligation 15-minute call to see how I can help you feel more fun & fulfilled in your work and home life.